(Note: this Coordinator job could develop into a more stable position as a Coordinator of Adult Ed Health Training programs, depending on funding).
We need temporary PT workers to help us with work in June, as well as in the Summer and hopefully beyond the Summer in the school year beginning in September.
Make the Road New York (www.maketheroadny.org) is a non-profit organization that builds the power of immigrant and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice. We do this through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. We have 22,000 members and operate five community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; Brentwood, Long Island and White Plains, NY.
In our Jackson Heights, Queens office and our Bushwick, Brooklyn office:
We need Temporary Part time Adult Education Administrative Support worker(s) to help with end of class cycle activities in June, possibly into the Summer and the school year. (We need more help in Brooklyn than in Queens and expect Brooklyn temp workers to work through the summer.)
Temp PT workers could work 5 to 15 hrs/wk during busy periods, but the minimum number of hours will depend on your availability and the amount of work that comes up.
In our Bushwick, Brooklyn office we also need:
A Temporary PT Coordinator of Adult Education Admin work for Brooklyn and SI classes.
This job could develop into a more stable position as a Coordinator of Adult Ed Health Training programs, but we won’t know until the summer for sure because of funding uncertainties. This job will be over 30 hrs/wk and will include the supervision of other PT staff and volunteers.
Who should apply:
- Candidates must be bilingual in English and Spanish, must be able to type at least 35 wpm, and have demonstrated computer experience in office programs including Salesforce, Word, Excel, Publisher, etc.
- We need a trustworthy individual, with the flexibility to work different days and hours including during the evening and on occasional weekends in Brooklyn and Staten Island, and in our Queens center, as needed.
- Applicants must have at least 2 years previous experience working in an office setting.
- The ideal candidate must be efficient, communicative, a team player, and able to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- A strong candidate should also be able to meet deadlines as needed, be a fast learner, take initiative and work independently with high quality standards.
- Candidates with Associate’s degrees in relevant area of focus and experience are preferable.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Pre and post testing ESOL students using Best Plus software, and in Brooklyn the TABE test for health program students (training will be arranged)
- Enrolling students in classes
- Checking attendance in Salesforce database (training to be provided)
- Entering in Salesforce referrals and other information as needed
- Calling absent students and writing notes on Google master lists
- Calling students on waiting lists to make intake appointments
- Reviewing students’ records
- Emailing staff with different requests
- Re-enrolling students
- Filling out surveys
- Provide support to outreach and administrative staff
- Answering and making phones calls, photocopying, faxing, filing, typing, updating waiting lists, and assisting staff with any other job requests.
- Attending trainings and meeting as needed
- Providing outreach for classes
Compensation: Starting compensation is based on a scale set by a democratically-elected personnel committee and will depend on factors such as experience and education. MRNY offers a generous benefit package including health insurance and 401K.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the positions are filled.
Interviews will likely be held the week of May 21st and/or 28th and again in June as needed. Persons of color, women, LGBTQ people are encouraged to apply.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Adult-Lit-Coordinator@maketheroadny.org. Please be explicit about which position(s) you’re applying for.
Only applicants of interest will be contacted.